- About the GPIA
- Research and Education
- Support Association
In 1982, the GPIA Jerusalem moved into its new facilities in the Auguste-Victoria- Compound on the Mount of Olives.
A connection with the German-speaking Lutheran Parish of the Church of the Redeemer has existed since the early days of the institute. Gustaf Dalman, its first director, preached at the church and from 1921 to 1923 he and his successor held office as directors of the institute and provosts of the church simultaneously. Today, ar-chaeological tours and com-munity events at the church are an important part of the institute's work.
Jerusalem is today one of the major international centres of archaeological and cultural research, and is characterised by cooperation between various Israeli institutions and international research facilities, a situation which dates back to the 19th century.
In 1890, the French École Biblique et Archéologique Française was founded, followed by the American School of Oriental Research (today the Albright Institute) in 1900, the Italian Studium Biblicum Franciscanum in 1901 and the British School of Archaeology (today the Kenyon Institute) in 1919. In 1913, the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society was founded, followed in 1948 by the Israel Exploration Society and in 1963 by the Hebrew Union College. The Israel Antiquities Authority (Jerusalem) and the Palestinian Department of Antiquities (Ramallah) conduct archaeological affairs on an official level.
Founded in 1900, the German Protestant Institute of Archaeology is one of the most venerable archaeological institutions in Jerusalem, and together with the Roman Catholic Görres Society, which was founded in 1908, it performs an important role in representing German archaeological research in the world.